Donuts entered general availability for the following new gTLDs: .camera .equipment .estate .gallery .graphics .lighting .photography. I checked out the zone files from the 7 new gTLDs that completed sunrise and I found 519 registered domain names:
I then took the 519 name.newgtld and converted them into .com: namenewgtld.com. Here is what I found:
- 71% (370) of the .com domains are not registered
- That is because a lot of trademark.newgtld combinations don’t make any sense: linkedin.equipment
- Only 29% (149) .com are registered
- A few companies have registered a lot of the corresponding .com many years ago: Dayton Electric Manufacturing Co., Amazon, etc.
- A small number of unregistered combinations are quite good and not a trademark problem.
- A few of the unregistered domains are pretty good trademark domains that these companies should register to avoid costly UDRP complaints.
- 5 companies registered all 7 new gTLDs but own 0 of the corresponding .com: all 7 .com are free. The company trademarks are “cam4”, “goldpoint”. “maktoob”. “tdameritrade”, “yodobashicamera”. Waste of money.
- Dkny did the same with “dkny” and “donna karan”.
- Merck, a pharmaceutical company, also did it.
- The registered .com domains don’t necessarily make sense: e.g. yahoolighting.com
I then took off the new gTLD part of the .com domain names and ended up with 327 unique domains:
- Only 3 .com domains were not registered
- 2 of them should be registered by the company
- The 3rd is pretty bad: pathwayconnectivitysolutions.com and it is worse in the New gTLD: pathwayconnectivitysolutions.lighting
So I don’t see why these companies are registering these new gTLD domains other than to block other trademark holders, with the same mark, from getting them. But the other trademark holders would also make no sense registering these new gTLDs because if they did, they would have registered the .com as well. Does anyone understands this or is it the consultants and the brand protection firms that do this?
(Zone files only include domain names that have nameservers assigned. Registered domains with no nameservers don’t enter the zone files.)
Interesting analysis. Leaves me scratching my head as to the motivation fro registering the gtld in the first instance
agree. I see no reason to register one either. All are pathetic .crap and sound stupid when you actually try to use them.