I was browsing the 1&1 registrar website today (no I am not a customer) and found this useful advice to domain owners that did not intent to let their domains expire and their domains have been re-registered by someone else. This must be the best advice on expired domains that I have seen coming from a registrar. In sort they say that re-registering expired domains is legal and that it happens every day and gives the previous owner 3 options:
- Consider the legal options if they hold a matching trademark and the name is not generic
- Try to buy it from the current owner by making an offer politely and by reimbursing the fees involved (their acknowledge that catching expired domains can be very expensive)
- If the owner doesn’t want to give up the domain hire a broker to buy the domain
It seems that you can either do 2 or 3 and not both but it is still a valid advice overall.
Usually the advice to the previous owner is:
- Offer $10 for a domain that was just acquired for 6k USD at an auction
- Make empty threats of legal action to the new owner
- Curse at the new owner and complain to every forum possible
1&1 is a sister company to Sedo, that is why on their article they have a link to Sedo’s legal resources.