BrandBucket shared some statistics on how its marketplace performed in 2016.
Overall Domain Name Sales
- 1017 domain names sold
- $3070 average sale price
- $2295 median sale price
Average price went up year-over-year, and even with more high-value sales than ever, the median sale price of $2295 (half of the sales were above this price, half were below) is higher than previous years.
Sales Price Breakdown
- 75 sales under $1500
- 318 sales between $1500 and $2000
- 404 sales between $2000 and 3000
- 109 sales between $3000 and $4000
- 51 sales between $4000 and $5000
- 43 sales between $5000 and $10000
- 17 sales over $10000
Of the 1017 domains sold, the bulk are in the $1500-$4000 range, which has proven to be a sweet spot for startups and entrepreneurs.
- 14.5% of sales were to repeat buyers
- 2.27% average discount on listed price
The number of sales that closed with a discount was higher than previous years, mainly due to more transactions in the higher price range, and older inventory that had not had a price adjustment in many years.
- 238 unique sellers with a domain sale
- 134 sellers with 1 domain sale
- 37 sellers with 2 domain sales
- 15 sellers with 3 domain sales
- 51 sellers with 4+ domain sales
- $2,063,088 paid out to sellers in 2016