Yesterday I made a post about a couple of Moniker problems I had. The post was triggered by an email invoice I got for a domain name renewal. I had let the domain expire of the 6th of May. Many people have received this renewal invoice for domains that have expired 1-2 months back. But that was only the beginning of the problems me and others are facing. At least I don’t have any domains expiring in June as I followed my own advice.
First of all the support is not responding. I submitted 2 tickets yesterday and have not heard back. I don’t have the option of calling and waiting for hours on the phone as I am from Greece. Actually no one can wait for hours on the phone…
Now let’s see one of the most important problems: the disappearing domains. Some domains have disappeared from user account for various reasons. I can imagine everything went wrong. The old Moniker system had enough bugs already and transferring a broken system to another broken system is simply impossible.
Some expired domains have disappeared while others that have been expired for months, in redemption or transferred out still appear in accounts.
But there is some other category of disappearing domains. The ones people have won and have been transferred to their Network Solutions accounts. Before the change to the New Moniker I noticed a small banner in my account informing about this:
So Network Solutions probably now has some of your missing domain names. These are the domains that were won at Snapnames. I am missing one domain that is registered with the registrar OctopusDomains. I checked one of my Network Solutions accounts and it’s not in there. Not sure where it is…
And of course some domains are showing the wrong whois details. This is quite frightening. Although my .org domains appears in my Moniker control panel and has the correct contact handle it is shown as owned by Moniker. I tried to update whois by making a small change and control panel says that the job is pending. This is a domain registered with a registrar named BetterThanAverageDomains and managed by Moniker. That could seem like an ownership change in a UDRP. This is very bad!
I wrote yesterday that Moniker is missing the auto-expire option at the renewal section. It only has the auto-renew and auto-delete option as we speak. Here are some more of the changes and problems that I noticed in a few minutes of working with the new control panel today:
- You now have a new Account ID. You can still login with the account username. Moniker did not informed customers about this important change.
- The “Transaction History” is completely empty.
- IP log does not even work.
- The “Invoices” section contains no invoices. That is 1 thing I missed doing before the change and I will regret it. I am missing 2 invoices from May and I need them for my tax office.
- Paypal payments don’t work. I got this message:
“We could not reach the PayPal payment gateway.
Please try again later!
We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.”
- Actually I am not sure if credit card payments are working. The domain that was supposedly renewed using my credit card is not in my account.
- We have no bank transfer details and I won’t send money to the old account because that could be different too.
- You can’t change your password: “This option is only available for the main user of this account.”
- Some people complained about the domain pricing. Actually they liked the wrong pricing displayed! This is what I see in my account now: .com: $ 9.09 Price excl. VAT
- My various contact templates have all disappeared. I am only left with the one that Moniker created from my default account profile. So probably whois in my 500 Moniker domains is messed up.
- There is “Delete Immediately” option that is useful but very dangerous at the same time. There should be 2-step authentication to access this feature.
- Actually 2-step authentication should be used for accessing the account anyway…
- gTLD Pre-Registrations don’t work.
- Of course there in no way to get auth codes in bulk as I predicted. Someone said that the auth codes have changed with the New Moniker. I have checked that yet.
- I am not sure if you can renew domains using the account balance. Has anyone renewed a domain successfully?
- Can anyone register new domains? Why would you do that at Moniker? 🙂
- Bulk domain name unlock and bulk nameserver change is a mess.
- My domains show an arbitrary creation date in whois. Actually it might be the date from when I originally transfer the domain into Moniker. DomainTools displays the wrong creation date that it gets from Moniker. My original creation is actually shown correctly at internic.net.
- The Moniker Escrow will be migrated to the Snapnames Escrow within the next 2 weeks.
- Did I miss anything? I am sure I did!
This is the Moniker announcement from yesterday:
To All Moniker Customers,
This past weekend we launched a completely new Moniker experience which involved the release of an entirely new Moniker website and customer portal. Our goal is to increase the products and services we offer while at the same time maintaining a robust set of tools that enable clients to effectively manage their Web properties in a single place.
During this migration period unfortunately there appear to be some instances where clients have been charged for renewals they did not authorize, and cases in which domains are not visible in a customer’s account. We want you to know unauthorized charges of domains will be refunded as soon as possible. In addition, if you are missing domains in your account, they are not lost; they are not appearing for technical reasons which should be resolved in the next 24-48 hours.
As you can imagine, these issues have caused a significant increase in call volume to our support staff and we are working diligently to resolve each and every case. We are working around the clock to resolve your questions and concerns expeditiously.
We understand the concerns our customers are facing and want you to know that if you have any questions, concerns, or comments, please contact support at:
Toll free in the U.S. and Canada: 800-688-6311
Outside the U.S. and Canada: 954-607-1294