I don’t know if you noticed or not but I took 10 days off. I took advantage of the US Labor Day and Bank Holidays on several Europeans countries last Monday and the Greek Holly Spirit holiday the following Monday to get away of it all. I needed some space from work and much needed rest.
I didn’t write on my blog and tried not to do anything that has to do with domaining. I didn’t read domaining.com but I read a couple of articles here and there. Especially when the articles were about domains I sold last year…
I mostly succeeded. I only made a couple of tweets and retweeted a bit. I also hand registered a .com and bought 3 .school New gTLD domains. 2 of them were surprisingly not reserved and at regular pricing so I couldn’t resist. These are meant for development. I didn’t do any research on .casino .school and .football but these 3 domains were available on days 5-6 of the EAP so I couldn’t resist. I probably missed on a few good ones but that is ok.
I also sold a New gTLD domain name that I will announce in a few days and one of my sales from last year became public as one of the blogs reported it. The blogger doesn’t know it was me that sold the domain. More on this soon.
And I made the regular weekly updates on Sold.Domains.
After writing all this maybe I didn’t succeed as much as I thought I did…
But here is what I did during these 10 last days:
- I went to a Greek island for almost 5 days.
- I slept a lot. I really needed that. I probably slept 1-13 hours on my first day on the island. Since December I have been working non-stop even on weekends. I also attended 2 conferences (NamesCon and Domaining Europe). Along with my clients, blog, working websites and the big sports team client I have mentioned it has been really crazy.
- Read a couple of magazines. I tried to catch up with my Wired, GQ and Esquire subscriptions.
- I went swimming.
- Played a lot with my daughter. Especially at the beach.
- Ate some great fresh Greek food.
- Drunk some beers and cocktails.
Here is what I decided to do for the rest of 2015:
- Decided to do more development and maybe hire a couple of people to help me. There is a major update on Sold.Domains coming soon.
- My prices are going up. I am not giving away any of my domain names.
- I want to loose 15 pounds. I gained a few pounds during the past 5 months. When I am tired and need sleep I tend to eat more. I also played very little tennis cause of bad weather (winter was hard in Greece this year) and even missed a couple of my regular games cause of work. This has never happened before.
- Less food. (see above) 🙂
- More tennis and running.
- More movies and a few drinks.
- Also I decided I need to clean my mailbox, hundreds of firefox tabs and get a new PC. All these make me waste a lot of productive time.
- I need to reply to a few emails from the past few months. I can’t tell you how sorry I am for not replying to some emails…
- I need to bring my stress level down. My stress level is down in the past 5 days and I think that sleep is one important factor. I will try to sleep at least 7 hours every night.
I didn’t attend DomainFest in Sofia this week because I needed this rest.
Finally, it seems that whenever I get a lot of downtime I have no internet connection. On 12 hour flights or on a ferry in the middle of the Aegean sea. Maybe that is a good thing.
Konstantinos, I don’t know how old you are, but it seems around 30 to 40’s, we really need to start lowering stress and eating better / exercising. Working on the Internet can be very stressful especially sitting in front of the computer all day. And without our health, we can’t continue to enjoy spending time with our loved ones and doing what makes us happy in life.
Good for you and I hope I can do the same, as I’m nearing 40.
I am 39 so we are close. You are right about it all.
Glad you had a good break and rest up.
I don’t think it’s possible to completely detached from business, but nice to put it in the background if it suits. Although, it did sound like some nice casual domaining.
Maybe 2 hours per day compared to 16 hours is an improvement. 🙂
“Ate some great fresh Greek food.” Send me some!
We all need to slow down and unwind from time to time.. i can imagine how rejuvenated you felt after these 5 days, really makes me want to do the same already but still got to wait until end of july when i finally get my vacation approved and more time for my daughter as well..
anyway, welcome back to domaining, Konstantinos
More time with our kids is always relaxing. Well… most of the times. 🙂
Welcome back from the sunny islands! 🙂
Less alcohol, less moussaka and pastitsio (JK 😀 ), more sport, more vacations, less newGs, more rest, and … take your time … this way the sun will shine again! 🙂
I totally agree with what DNselect said above as well, a healthy life is the key … Latins were used to say “Mens sana in corpore sano”, which is something similar to what said Greek philosopher Thales “τίς εὐδαίμων, “ὁ τὸ μὲν σῶμα ὑγιής, τὴν δὲ ψυχὴν εὔπορος, τὴν δὲ φύσιν εὐπαίδευτος”
Take care! 😉
You sure know your Greek! 🙂
When are we going to meet? We are not that far apart…
Well, my Greek in this case is just a copy and paste … lol
Unfortunately I don’t speak Greek, if we exclude a few words like kalimera, kalispera and a few other terms … 🙂
Don’t know, I know Greece is very close, and I like it, I’ve been there before, but I’m kinda busy reorganizing a few things these days … I’ll let you know as soon as I can …
Good for you. There should be some time set aside everyday to do something that makes you happy. It is easy to forget sometimes. Glad you are back Konstantinos.
It’s hard for non-Greeks to understand the psyche, life’s attitude and social DNA of us Greeks. When the sh*t hits the fan, it’s time to approach life with pure abandon, embrace nature, food and friends & family. Opa! OK, southern Italians are part of the family also, after all we founded Magna Graecia. Καλό καλοκαίρι Κώστα!
Καλό καλοκαίρι. Are you coming to Greece soon?
Welcome back Konstantinos. We’ve missed your post.
Glad to see your blog again. I hope to have some rest in Santorini Island some day.
Santorini is all about rest and couples!
Yea- you and Arco need to spend money in Greece to fix the financial fiasco.
Health is Wealth always we need to take care our health and its nice to see you after healthy holiday. Congrats for nice picks domain.school & domains.school because I pre-registered them waited for GA but you grabbed them @ EAP Day 7
You got me… 🙂
I have been keeping a tab on you. l like your style of writing when you write about Greece,you make me imagine it. I hope to learn so much from you about domain business.