VeriSign, Inc. (NASDAQ: VRSN) reported financial results for the second quarter of 2021.
VeriSign, Inc. and its subsidiaries (“Verisign”) reported revenue of $329 million for the second quarter of 2021, up 4.8 percent from the same quarter in 2020. Verisign reported net income of $148 million and diluted earnings per share (diluted “EPS”) of $1.31 for the second quarter of 2021, compared to net income of $152 million and diluted EPS of $1.32 for the same quarter in 2020. The operating margin was 64.7 percent for the second quarter of 2021 compared to 65.8 percent for the same quarter in 2020.
“We’re pleased with the operational and financial results of the quarter as well as the continued efforts of our dedicated team. Last week we reached a new milestone for our critical internet infrastructure by marking 24 years of 100% availability in the .com/.net domain name resolution system,” said Jim Bidzos, Executive Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.
- On June 8, 2021, VeriSign, Inc. issued $750 million aggregate principal amount of 2.700% Senior Notes due 2031. On June 23, 2021, VeriSign, Inc. used the net proceeds from the offering, together with cash on hand, to fund the redemption of all of its outstanding $750 million, 4.625% Senior Notes due 2023; as part of this redemption, Verisign recognized a loss on debt extinguishment of $2.1 million related to the unamortized debt issuance costs on the notes.
- Verisign ended the second quarter of 2021 with cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities of $1.12 billion, a decrease of $44 million from the end of 2020.
- Cash flow from operating activities was $143 million for the second quarter of 2021, compared to $215 million for the same quarter in 2020.
- Deferred revenues as of June 30, 2021 totaled $1.11 billion, an increase of $50 million from the end of 2020.
- During the second quarter of 2021, Verisign repurchased 0.8 million shares of its common stock for an aggregate cost of $172 million. As of June 30, 2021, there was $737 million remaining for future share repurchases under the share repurchase program which has no expiration date.
- Verisign ended the second quarter of 2021 with 170.6 million .com and .netdomain name registrations in the domain name base, a 5.2 percent increase from the end of the second quarter of 2020, and a net increase of 2.59 million during the second quarter of 2021.
- During the second quarter of 2021, Verisign processed 11.7 million new domain name registrations for .com and .net, compared to 11.1 million for the same quarter in 2020.
- The final .com and .net renewal rate for the first quarter of 2021 was 76.0 percent compared to 75.4 percent for the same quarter in 2020. Renewal rates are not fully measurable until 45 days after the end of the quarter.