VeriSign, Inc. (NASDAQ: VRSN) today reported financial results for the first quarter of 2021.
VeriSign, Inc. and its subsidiaries (“Verisign”) reported revenue of $324 million for the first quarter of 2021, up 3.6 percent from the same quarter in 2020. Verisign reported net income of $150 million and diluted earnings per share (diluted “EPS”) of $1.33 for the first quarter of 2021, compared to net income of $334 million and diluted EPS of $2.86 for the same quarter in 2020. The operating margin was 65.0 percent for the first quarter of 2021 compared to 66.0 percent for the same quarter in 2020.
Net income for the first quarter of last year included the recognition of $168 million of previously unrecognized income tax benefits. These benefits resulted from remeasurement of Verisign’s accrual for uncertain tax positions as previously noted in the first quarter 2020 earnings release. This income tax benefit increased diluted EPS by $1.44 for the first quarter of 2020.
“Our constant preparation for delivering our services in difficult situations has continued to serve the global internet community well, as we enter a second year of COVID. This preparation, along with our focus on mission and a strengthening economy, resulted in a strong first quarter,” said Jim Bidzos, Executive Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.
- Verisign ended the first quarter of 2021 with cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities of $1.18 billion, an increase of $14 million from the end of 2020.
- Cash flows from operating activities were $198 million for the first quarter of 2021, compared to $180 million for the same quarter in 2020.
- Deferred revenues as of March 31, 2021 totaled $1.10 billion, an increase of $36 million from the end of 2020.
- During the first quarter of 2021, Verisign repurchased 0.9 million shares of its common stock for an aggregate cost of $173 million. As of March 31, 2021, there was $910 million remaining for future share repurchases under the share repurchase program which has no expiration date.
- Verisign ended the first quarter of 2021 with 168.0 million .com and .netdomain name registrations in the domain name base, a 4.6 percent increase from the end of the first quarter of 2020, and a net increase of 2.80 million during the first quarter of 2021.
- During the first quarter of 2021, Verisign processed 11.6 million new domain name registrations for .com and .net, compared to 10.0 million for the same quarter in 2020.
- The final .com and .net renewal rate for the fourth quarter of 2020 was 73.5 percent compared to 73.8 percent for the same quarter in 2019. Renewal rates are not fully measurable until 45 days after the end of the quarter.