Verisign released its latest Domain Name Industry Brief, which provides a review of the state of the domain name industry through statistical and analytical research.
The second quarter of 2016 closed with approximately 334.6 million domain name registrations across all top-level domains (TLDs), an increase of approximately 7.9 million domain name registrations, or 2.4 percent over the first quarter of 2016. Domain name registrations have grown by 38.2 million, or 12.9 percent, year over year.
The following are the top-line numbers at the close of Q2 2016:
- The total number of registered domain names rose to 334.6 million worldwide across all top-level domains
- 7.9 million domain names were added to the Internet in Q2 2016:
- This increase globally equates to a growth rate of 2.4% over Q1 2016
- Domain name registrations have grown by 38.2 million, or 12.9 percent, year over year.
- The .com and .net TLDs reached a combined total of approximately 143.2 million domain names in the domain name base in Q2’16
- The base of registered names in .com equaled 127.5 million names, while .net equaled 15.8 million names
- Verisign processed 8.6 million new domain name registrations for .com and .net, as compared to 8.7 million domain names for the same period in 2015.
- Verisign’s average Domain Name System query load was 130 billion across all TLDs operated by Verisign, with a peak of 179 billion
I am wondering how many .COM names dropped during the 2nd Q 2016.