Today, Verisign released its latest Domain Name Industry Brief, which provides a review of the state of the domain name industry through statistical and analytical research. The following are the top-line numbers at the close of Q1 2015:
- The total number of registered domain names rose to 294 million worldwide across all top-level domains
- Six million domain names were added to the Internet in Q1 2015:
- This increase globally equates to a growth rate of 1.9% over Q4 2014
- Worldwide registrations have grown by 17.8 million, or 6.5%, year over year
- The .COM and .NET TLDs reached a combined total of approximately 133 million domain names in the domain name base in Q1
- The base of registered names in . COM equaled 117.9 million names, while .NET equaled 15.1 million names
- Verisign processed 8.7 million new domain name registrations for .COM and .NET in Q1 2015, compared to 8.6 million for the same period in 2014
- Verisign’s average Domain Name System query load was 119 billion across all TLDs operated by Verisign, with a peak of 165 billion
For more information, copies of the Q1 2015 DNIB, or to view past reports, visit VerisignInc.com/DNIB.
You can download the Q1 2015 infographic here.