European ccTLDs: Median domain growth in 2022 hit a 10 year low at 1.4%

The CENTRstats Global TLD Report Edition 4/2022 has been published. It covers the global status and registration trends in all top-level domains (legacy gTLDs, new gTLDs and ccTLDs), with a specific focus on the European ccTLD market.

European ccTLDs are responsible for 57% of the European domain name market, with .com domains accounting for 32% and other gTLDs 11%, with the demand for European ccTLDs returning to pre-pandemic levels similar to 2018 and 2019.

However, despite the median growth rate of domains hitting a 10-year low of 1.4%, renewals remained stable at 84.3%.

Highlights from the report:

  • European ccTLDs represent an estimated 57% of the European domain name market  with the remaining 43% attributed to .com (32%) and other gTLDs (11%).
  • There is an average of 15 domains (including ccTLD and gTLDs) per 100 people across European countries. Demand  for European ccTLDs over 2022 returned to pre-pandemic levels similar to 2018 and 2019.
  • Median domain growth in 2022 hit a 10 year low at 1.4% while renewals remained stable at 84.3%.
  • The median market share of European ccTLDs is estimated at 53% based on locally registered domains in the country and 42% based on popular websites.
  • The median retail price for a European ccTLD increased over 2022 and finished at 10.4 EUR with the same sample of registrars selling .com at 12.7 EUR. Both prices are up 5% year on year.
  • DNSSEC adoption remains low for most European ccTLDs with rates of signed domains generally under 10%. There are around 7 ccTLDs that have more than half their zone signed.
  • The proportion of European ccTLD domains used for developed web content (active websites) is 46%. Over 2022 the rate of developed ccTLD websites using SSL increased from 66% to 70%.

The pdf version of the report can be found here.


About Konstantinos Zournas

Studied Computer Engineering and Computer Science in London, UK and now living in Athens, Greece. Love domains and building websites. Went online in 1995, learned about HTML in 1996 and about domains in 2002. Started publishing the blog in 2012.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.