VeriSign, Inc. (NASDAQ: VRSN) reported financial results for the third quarter of 2020.
VeriSign, Inc. and its subsidiaries (“Verisign”) reported revenue of $318 million for the third quarter of 2020, up 3.1 percent from the same quarter in 2019. Verisign reported net income of $171 million and diluted earnings per share (diluted “EPS”) of $1.49 for the third quarter of 2020, compared to net income of $154 million and diluted EPS of $1.30 for the same quarter in 2019. The operating margin was 65.0 percent for the third quarter of 2020 compared to 66.7 percent for the same quarter in 2019.
Net income for the third quarter of 2020 included the recognition of $24 million of previously unrecognized income tax benefits. This resulted from remeasurement of Verisign’s accrual for uncertain tax positions based on IRS written confirmation indicating no examination adjustment would be proposed related to certain matters reviewed as part of its audit of federal income tax returns for 2010 through 2014. Notwithstanding this written confirmation, Verisign’s U.S. federal income tax returns for those years remain under examination by the IRS. This income tax benefit increased diluted EPS by $0.21.
“Our third quarter results reflect our ongoing discipline in execution of our mission. We are acutely aware of the extent to which people rely on our critical internet infrastructure as the COVID-19 pandemic continues, and we remain focused on our mission to help keep the world connected online, reliably and securely,” said Jim Bidzos, Executive Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.
- Verisign ended the third quarter of 2020 with cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities of $1.15 billion, a decrease of $68 million from the end of 2019.
- Cash flows from operating activities were $140 million for the third quarter of 2020, compared to $208 million for the same quarter in 2019.
- Deferred revenues as of Sept. 30, 2020 totaled $1.06 billion, an increase of $28 million from the end of 2019.
- During the third quarter of 2020, Verisign repurchased 0.8 million shares of its common stock for an aggregate cost of $170 million. As of Sept. 30, 2020, there was $506 million remaining for future share repurchases under the share repurchase program which has no expiration date.
- Verisign ended the third quarter of 2020 with 163.7 million .com and .net domain name registrations in the domain name base, a 4.0 percent increase from the end of the third quarter of 2019, and a net increase of 1.65 million during the third quarter of 2020.
- During the third quarter of 2020, Verisign processed 10.9 million new domain name registrations for .com and .net, compared to 9.9 million for the same quarter in 2019.
- The final .com and .net renewal rate for the second quarter of 2020 was 72.8 percent compared to 74.2 percent for the same quarter in 2019. Renewal rates are not fully measurable until 45 days after the end of the quarter.