The .NYC Advisory Board published a report on the .NYC Landrush that involved 10,506 domain names.
My estimate is that the .nyc landrush revenue was at about $1.2 to $1.3 million. This includes the landrush fee and the domain name auctions.
Landrush Summary – The Landrush (providing early access to .nyc names for a slightly higher rate) ended on October 3:
- A total of 10,506 domain names were requested.
- 9,412 had only one applicant and became eligible for activation at the auction’s conclusion.
- 1,094 had two or more applicants and required an auction to determine the developer.
- 933 names were auctioned in 3 phases: those with A-K, L-R, and S-Z names. (160 original applicants did not sign up for the auction. These and 9 or 10 other names (with assorted mishaps) were provided with a “second chance” in a Phase 4 auction. A report on the Phase 4 auction was not available at meeting time.)
- In the Landrush auction’s first 3 phases 425 names had only one bidder and were awarded for $10 – the minimum bid, 93 were auctioned for between $11-$99, 268 for $100-$999, 145 for $1,000 to $9,999, and 10 went for more than $10,000: Marijuana.nyc, Townhouse.nyc, Karvmaga.nyc, CosmeticDentistry.nyc, Dentalimplants.nyc, PhysicalTherepy.nyc, Orthodontist.nyc, Selling.nyc, CarService.nyc, and bitcoin.nyc.