Today, 4th of August, .NYC enters the landrush phase. This will probably be the largest geo New gTLD in terms of the number of domain name registrations. Only people and businesses with a real New York address are permitted to register a .nyc domain name.
.NYC Landrush launch commences August 4, 2014 at 15:00:01 and will remain open until October 3, 2014 at 15:00.
The landrush period is the first opportunity anyNew Yorkers can apply for their .NYC address. The .nyc landrush is not first-come, first-served. Instead, the landrush period will be open for a period of time, during which registration requests will be submitted.
After the .nyc landrush period closes, the submitted registration requests will be reviewed and examined for duplicate requests. If, in case two identical applications are submitted for ‘widget.nyc’ , the duplicate applicants will contend for the domain name at auction. Solo Landrush applications will be allocated after the landrush period closes, sometime after October 4.
The cost for a landrush application for a .NYC domain will be somewhere between $70 and $100, depending on the registrar. Remember that a landrush application does not guarantee registration. Applications for an identical.NYC domain will participate in auction. In the event that you do not choose to participate in the auction, your landrush application fees will be refunded to you in full.
Apply for your custom .nyc web address from one of the Accredited Registrars.
.nyc Nexus Policy
The City of New York desires to have only those individuals or entities having a substantive and lawful connection to the City be permitted to register for .NYC domain names (“Nexus Policy”).
- Registrants in .NYC must be either:
- a natural person whose primary place of domicile is a valid physical address in the City of New York (“Nexus Category 1”); or
- an entity or organization that has a physical street address in the City of New York (“Nexus Category 2”).
- The existence of a P.O. Box address in the City of New York shall not qualify for purposes of meeting the Nexus Policy.
- Registrants must agree in their Agreement with their Registrar and/or Reseller, whichever applicable, that they are in compliance with all relevant Federal, New York State and New York City laws, including the tax requirements for conducting business via the Internet. Registrants may find more information about compliance with the City tax laws at the City of New York Department of Finance’s website (currently at www.nyc.gov/finance).
- Registrants must remain in compliance with the applicable Nexus Category for the entire period of such domain name’s registration by the registrant.
- Registrants may not license, sub-delegate or otherwise transfer .NYC domain names to third parties that otherwise fail to meet the requirements of this Nexus Policy.