This past week 4 more new gTLDs applications were withdrawn and their status was updated at the ICANN New gTLD website. All 4 were brand new gTLDs. General Motors LLC withdrew 2 more gTLDs after withdrawing another one last week. American International Group, Inc. and Hasbro International, Inc. also withdrew one each. These 4 withdrawn applications bring the total of withdrawn gTLDs to 19.
General Motors LLC withdrew it’s applications for the CADILLAC and CHEVROLET new gTLD strings. The strings received a Prioritization Number of 1884 and 1790 respectively on the prioritization draw last December. The 1884 and 1790 prioritization numbers mean that the company didn’t pay the $100 to buy a prioritization ticket for each application but was assigned one after all the paid applicants had received one. Last week General Motors LLC withdrew it’s application for the .GMC new gTLD string. General Motors also has 2 more new gTLD applications that are still pending for BUICK and CHEVY.
Hasbro International, Inc. withdrew its application for the TRANSFORMERS string. Hasbro actually did pay the $100 to buy a prioritization ticket and got a pretty good Prioritization Number of 131 on the prioritization draw last December. Hasbro has no more new gTLD applications pending.
American International Group (AIG), Inc. withdrew its new gTLD application for the CHARTIS string. AIG also has 2 more new gTLD applications that are still pending for AIG and TRAVELGUARD with prioritization numbers 174 and 302 respectively.
The applicants that withdraw an application are eligible for a 70% refund of the application fees to ICANN. Each withdrawn application, is entitled to a refund of 70% of the $185,000 application fee that is or $130,000, since these fall “[a]fter posting of applications until posting of Initial Evaluation results,” as described in section 1.5.1 of the Applicant Guidebook.
The new gTLD application withdrawal and refund request process may take between 2-4 weeks to complete.
The other 15 applications that have withdrawn are:
- GLEAN (Lifestyle Domain Holdings, Inc.)
- GMBH (GMBH Registry, LLC)
- EST (Charleston Road Registry Inc.)
- KSB (KSB Aktiengesellschaft)
- HILTON (HLT Stakis IP Limited)
- CIALIS (Eli Lilly and Company)
- SWISS (Swiss International Air Lines Ltd.)
- ANSONS (CBM Creative Brands Marken GmbH)
- AND (Charleston Road Registry Inc.)
- CHATR (Rogers Communications Partnership)
- CAREMORE (WellPoint, Inc.)
- SKOLKOVO (Fund for Development of the Center for Elaboration and Commercialization of New Technologies)
- ARE (Charleston Road Registry Inc.)
- THEHARTFORD (Hartford Fire Insurance Company)
- GMC (General Motors LLC)