Google announced that they have started offering automatic ads called “AdSense Auto ads”.
AdSense Auto ads is a new way to place ads on your website. Auto ads use machine learning to make smart placement and monetization decisions on your behalf, saving you time. Place one piece of code just once to all of your pages, and let Google take care of the rest.
Publishers can specify which types of ads they want to run on their websites.
But I am mostly worried because Google gets to decide how many ads your website displays and how often. You are also surrendering the look and feel of your website to AdSense.
Google claims that some of the benefits of Auto ads include:
- Optimization: Using machine learning, Auto ads show ads only when they are likely to perform well and provide a good user experience.
- Revenue opportunities: Auto ads will identify any available ad space and place new ads there, potentially increasing your revenue.
- Easy to use: With Auto ads you only need to place the ad code on your pages once. When you’re ready to use new features and ad formats, simply turn them on and off with the flick of a switch — there’s no need to change the code again.
How do Auto ads work?
Place the Auto ads code on your pages
Auto ads will now start working for you by analyzing your pages, finding potential ad placements, and showing new ads when they’re likely to perform well and provide a good user experience. And if you want to have different formats on different pages you can use the new Advanced URL settings feature (e.g. you can choose to place In-feed ads on exampleurl.com/games but not on exampleurl.com/sports). Getting started with AdSense Auto ads Auto ads can work equally well on new sites and on those already showing ads. Have you manually placed ads on your page? There’s no need to remove them if you don’t want to. Auto ads will take into account all existing Google ads on your pages. Already using Anchor or Vignette ads? Auto ads include Anchor and Vignette ads and many more additional formats such as Text and display, In-feed, and Matched content. Note that all users that used Page-level ads are automatically migrated over to Auto ads without any need to add code to their pages again. To get started with AdSense Auto ads:
- Sign in to your AdSense account.
- In the left navigation panel, visit My ads and select Get Started.
- On the “Choose your global settings” page, select the ad formats that you’d like to show and click Save.
- On the next page, click Copy code.
- Paste the ad code between the < head > and </ head > tags of each page where you want to show Auto ads.
- Auto ads will start to appear on your pages in about 10-20 minutes.