(Unfortunately the site only works with data.beta.nyc. www.beta.nyc redirects tobetanyc.us)
Here are a couple of hints for getting the most out of the .NYC Explorer:
- When you get to Explorer’s home on Beta.nyc, you’ll see the summary page, like the one above. Click on the blue Launch Website button on the left and interact with the live data on tableau.com website. (While on Beta.nyc take a look around . Beta is a great organization, consider getting involved.)
- After clicking Launch Website you’ll see essentially the same info on tableau.com, but it’s live. Click a bar on one of the graphs and see the names in the List box on the left change. For example, in the “First Char” graph, click on the bar representing 5 characters and see the list of 5 character names presented in the List box on the left. NOTE: This is kind of tricky – you must click on the bar above the horizontal line, not on the number 5 itself.
- Drill down by clicking on 2 bars – the First Char and Length – and drill down to specifics.
- Finally, once you’ve drilled down, you can click on the names in the List box and be taken to a who.is site with lots of details about that domain name.
Here are some important stats:
- 54% of the domains are registered by individuals
- 9 characters is the most common domain name length
- “s” is the most common first character