I was trying for about 24 hours to unlock a few of my domains at Enom so I could transfer them out. I had no luck. I was using the Bulk Global Edit by adding my domain list and trying to remove the Registrar Lock. I did it 3 times over the 24 hour period but it didn’t work.
So I contacted support and asked them about it. I am used to bad support lately from domain name registrars so what was surprising was that the support was very professional, knew what questions to ask and understood what the problem was.
And that is even though I had already unlocked the domains by doing them one by one at the individual domain name control panel before I got their reply. It seems that the Global Edit tool has the problem and Enom support was able to reproduce the problem and confirm it with me. If it was any other registrar except some bright exceptions I think they would have treated me like a crazy person.
I was told that they are working on a fix. Waiting to hear from them.